MCKIM, MEAD & WHITE LIBRARY, NEW YORK
KUGLER NING LIGHTING DESIGN
This private members-only club library was
completed in 1904 to a design by McKim, Mead &
White. Perhaps its most striking feature is a series of
murals by H Siddons Mowbray.
The last modern lighting intervention occurred in the
1970s. Since then the amount of daylight has been
reduced significantly by the introduction of curtains
and light-reducing film on the windows.
Kugler Ning Lighting Design set out to highlight
the murals, preserve a low level of illumination in
the room appropriate to the period, and provide
pools of light at the reading areas. All visible fixtures
would appear to be original and light sources
targeting the murals would be concealed. To achieve
the mural lighting without glare from the existing
clear lacquer coating, Kugler Ning had to use narrow
beams and cross-aim the lights. Uplight positions
from the balconies could only illuminate the centre
bays. Side bays and walls had to be highlighted from
New custom task lamps with aimable uplights were
placed on existing tables. To reduce reflections
and glare, fluorescent tubes were removed from
existing stack lights and replaced with linear LEDs
with internal louvres. All of the layers of light are
controlled with lighting presets to enhance the visual
hierarchy and balance with daylight.
The centre bay murals are lit from custom wall sconces
with detail supplied by McKim, Mead & White. All
uplight fixtures use 95 CRI 7.5W LED lamps.
The project architect was Peter Gisolfi Associates.
The project won an award of merit at the 2015 Lumen
Awards, organised by IESNYC.